In the spring we held a series of training calls to help activists be as effective as possible. Here are recordings and notes from past calls.
Below are some steps, tips, and materials for a successful organizing party. If you have a question that is not answered in this guide, e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Getting People to Your Event
- Outreach Tips to get People to your Event (PDF).
- Social Media Guide to Build your Event (PDF).
- Sample Email Party Invitation (PDF) and Sample House Party Flyer (PDF).
- Make announcements at local meetings for organizations with similar interests. A list of endorsing organizations is at www.united4thepeople.org.
- Set up a meeting with your councilperson. Here is a primer on how to plan a meeting with your elected official. If you find your council person is very supportive, you might want to invite her or him to attend an event to reach the public.
2. Preparing for Your Event
- You might want to order Pay 2 Play with our special discount code. Pay 2 Play is a 90 minute movie about the problem of money in politics and why it is so important to take action now. You need to order this in advance! Find out more about Pay 2 Play here.
- The 8-minute Story of Citizens United video may be useful to show also. You can contact Public Citizen at email@example.com if you do not have a computer connection and need a DVD copy.
- There is also a funny 3-minute music video explaining Super PACs you could show.
- Print copies of the agenda for hosts (PDF) and attendees (PDF).
- Print copies of the Sign In Sheet (PDF),Timeline to Pass a Resolution (PDF), Sample Resolution Language (PDF), Meeting with Your Council Person (PDF), the Action Worksheet (PDF)
- Announce your event to local reporters. Edit our Sample Media Advisory to fit the details and content of your gathering.
- Download our printer-friendly petition (PDF). Have everyone sign, and invite attendees to take copies and gather their own signatures. (Petitions are also available from People for the American Way & Move to Amend).
- Citizens United Fact Sheet (PDF). More resources are available at the movement website United4thepeople.org.
3. After Your Event
- Send an e-mail thanking everyone for attending and share with them a summary of what you decided your next steps will be, including your next meeting and commitments individuals made.