Below are some steps, tips, and materials for a successful event to introduce your resolution to the public. These materials were developed for events around May 9th, but can easily be modified to use on your own timeline. If you have a question that is not answered in this guide, e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Getting People to Your Event
- Here are some outreach tips to get people to your event (PDF).
- Here is a Sample flyer – fill in your information and use it for your event (PDF).
- Here is a guide to use social media to build your event (PDF).
- Here is a Sample Email Invitation (PDF)
- Make sure you post your event to our online site. Once you post it, here is guide on how to log in to modify your event, invite people, etc. (PDF).
- Make announcements at meetings of local organizations (PDF). A list of endorsing organizations (many with local chapters) is at www.united4thepeople.org.
- Table, petition and pass out flyers in public spaces and at public events. Here is a sample petition that you can modify to fit your language and use to get local support.
- Create a Public Service Announcement for your local radio or TV stations.
- Finally, you should send out a sample media advisory a week in advance and make follow up calls to your local media. You might get some coverage in advance.
2. Preparing for Your Press Event
- Here is a guide to help you reach out to the media. (PDF)
- Again, a reminder to send out your sample media advisory a week in advance and make follow up calls to your local media.
- Print out copies of your version of the sample press release (PDF).
- Here are some other documents that you can include in the press packets that you should prepare: Citizens United Fact Sheet (PDF), Poll: Seven in 10 Would Send Super PACs Packing (PDF), Another Poll showing strong voter opposition to Citizens United; Small Businesses Poll Strongly Against Citizens United (PDF); Business Statement calling to Overturn Citizens United (PDF);
3. Preparing for your planning meeting
- Print copies of the agenda for hosts and attendees (coming soon).
- Print copies of Timeline to Pass a Resolution (PDF) and the Action Worksheet (PDF) and the Sign In Sheet.
- You might want to order Pay 2 Play with our special discount code. Pay 2 Play is a 90 minute movie about the problem of money in politics and why it is so important to take action now. You need to order this in advance! Find out more about Pay 2 Play here.
- The 8-minute Story of Citizens United video may be useful to show also. You can contact Public Citizen at email@example.com if you do not have a computer connection and need a DVD copy.
- There is also a funny 3-minute music video explaining Super PACs you could show.
4. After Your Event
- Send an e-mail thanking everyone for attending and share with them a summary of what you decided your next steps will be, including your next meeting and commitments individuals made.