Passing a local resolution in your town or city is a powerful step that you can take to build the movement for a constitutional amendment. Already nearly 500 local resolutions have passed. Here are tools for you to pass one in your town.
Steps to Pass a Resolution
- See If An Effort Is Already Taking Place in Your City/Town
- Plan an Organizing Meeting to Get Things Started
- Plan a Meeting with Your Council Person
- Organize a Press Event to Introduce Your Resolution
- Plan for the Passage of Your Resolution
Some Helpful Fact Sheets and Other Documents
- Sample Resolution Language (PDF)
- Sample Press Release for Resolution Passing (PDF)
- A Fact Sheet: Why Pass a Constitutional Amendment (PDF)
- The U.S. Conference of Mayors supports urgent action to reverse the impacts of Citizens United.
- Fact Sheets on how Money in Politics Affects the Environment, Education, Immigration, and Gun Control
- Conservative Talking Points (PDF)
- How Does Citizens United Affect Our City (PDF)
- What Can I Do If a Resolution Already Passed In My Town/ City? (PDF)
- An Op Ed Template to Modify & Submit (PDF)
- A Fantastic Toolkit by Moveon.org on How to Gain Support from Your Council Members
- The U.S. Conference of Mayors unanimously adopted a resolution stating “corporations should not receive the same legal rights as natural persons . . . that money is not speech” and calling for most urgent action to reverse the impacts of Citizens United.